When you apply for a trading account with Selfwealth, you will undergo an 'electronic verification' (EV) process where we attempt to verify your identity based on the information you have supplied.
In most cases, we will be able to verify your identity electronically. However, if we're unable to verify your identity using this method, we will ask you to supply supporting documentation. This is to comply with our obligations under the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006.
This supporting documentation can be any of the below:
- Two 'Category A' documents, OR,
- One 'Category A' document AND one 'Category B' document, OR,
- One 'Category A' document AND one 'Category C' document.
Additionally, these documents must be certified and at least one must display your name and current residential address (these details must also match those provided on your application).
For more information on how to get your documents certified, please click here.
Please note: for trust, company and SMSF accounts additional documentation may be required. If this is the case, you will be advised of this upon completion of your application.
Accepted Category A ID Documents
For your Category A ID document(s), we will accept a certified copy of any of the below:
- A current driver’s licence or government-issued permit that contains your photo and date of birth.
- Your copy must show both the front and back of the driver’s licence.
- A passport issued by a government containing a photograph of the applicant and date of birth
- Australian passports may have expired within the last two years but must not have been cancelled. All other passports must be current.
- A national identity card issued for the purpose of identification, that:
- contains a photograph and the signature of the person in whose name the document is issued, and;
- is issued by a foreign government.
Accepted Category B ID Documents
For your Category B ID document, we will accept a certified copy of one of the following documents that contains your name and current residential address:
- Document issued by the Commonwealth, State or Territory within the preceding 12 months that records the provision of financial benefits to the individual
- Document issued by ATO within the preceding 12 months that records a debt payable to or by the individual by or to the Government under taxation law
- Document issued by a local government body or utilities provider within the preceding 3 months that records the provision of services to that address or to that person
- A tax assessment notice issued by the ATO within the preceding twelve months;
- A government benefits notice within the preceding twelve months;
- A utility bill within the preceding three months;
- Home and/or contents insurance policy statement;
- A local government rates notice within the preceding three months;
- Bank statement within the preceding three months;
- Credit Card statement within the preceding three months.
Accepted Category C ID Documents
For your Category C ID document, we will accept a certified copy of any of the below:
- A card issued under the law of a State or Territory for the purpose of proving the person’s age, containing a photograph of the person in whose name the document is issued along with their date of birth;
- A Medicare card.